Moving can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be.
Follow these 10 simple tips to make your move immeasurably easier. Whether you’re moving now or later, it’s never too early to prepare!
- Plan Diligently. Set aside time to plan every aspect of your move. This will make things easier when it actually happens.
- Mark Fragile Items. Marking fragile objects will help keep everything intact during the move, and you’ll be more comfortable knowing these items will receive special care.
- Spread the Word. Notify your friends, family, doctors, accountants, banks, insurance companies and other businesses that you patronize before you move. If you’re currently renting, give your landlord a notice in writing within the timeframe specified in your lease. Don’t forget to change your address at the post office!
- Hire a Sitter. Make the moving process easier on your kids and/or your pets. Hire an off-site sitter to take care of them so you can focus on the move.
- Be There. Even if you’ve invested in professional movers, it’s still important to be at your old home until the move is complete. You’ll be able to answer any questions, and you’ll feel better knowing that you got everything by doing a final walk-through.
- Clean Up Before and After You’ve Packed. Host a yard sale or donate things you don’t want, so you can reduce the number of items you’ll have to move. After packing, have the house cleaned. If you’d rather clean it yourself, make sure you have cleaning supplies handy.
- Save a Spot. Don’t wait until moving day to figure out where you’re going to park the moving truck. If you live in a city, check with local officials to find out if you can get a permit to reserve a parking space. Also check with neighbors to see if they can save you a spot.
- Make an “Open First” Box. This is the box you’ll pack last and unload first. Toilet paper, pillows, toiletries and other important items should be in here.
- Set Up Your Utilities. Schedule your phone, cable, gas, electric and internet installation in advance. It’s reassuring to know that it’ll all be ready once you arrive in your new home.
- Take Inventory As You Pack. Create a detailed list of your belongings and their estimated value. It’s a great way to ensure that you have the proper insurance to cover your possessions, and it will put your mind at ease if you ever have to file a claim.
Not ready to move because you haven’t found the perfect place to call home? Find the ideal new home from Brookfield Residential on our website. And before you go, bookmark this blog so you can come back to it when you’re ready to make your move!