Moving into your new home doesn't have to be a stressful time if you plan ahead! Here are some simple tips to help make your move go as smoothly as possible.
- Make sure you keep all of your housing documents and keys together, and more importantly, somewhere you can find them easily.
- If renting, make sure to give your landlord notice in writing within the time frame specified by your lease agreement.
- Plan and organize in advance for your move, carefully marking fragile items.
- Get rid of all the clutter you do not need. Plan a yard sale, or donate your items to local charities.
- Set up phone, cable, gas, and electric installation services for your new home in advance.
- Go to the post office and complete the appropriate form to have your address changed. Don't forget to change the address for all newspaper and magazine subscriptions as well.
- Notify your family, friends, doctors, accountant, bank, insurance, and other companies that you do business with of your new address.
- And it's also a good idea to have someone available to watch your pets during the big move.